According to the Icelandic Health Insurance Law everyone who has been legally a resident in Iceland for six months automatically becomes a member of the Icelandic social insurance system, regardless of nationality.

This means that the Icelandic state participates in health care costs, both for general health protection and for accidents or illnesses. However, dental services are excluded unless the person is under 18 years of age.

Individuals are required to pay visitation fees to health care institutions and part of the medicine costs according to the applicable rules.

Those who intend to work in Iceland for a short term are often covered by international agreements or social security systems in their home country, but this is rarely the case with nationals of countries outside the EEA. It is recommended to check if this is the case and purchase additional insurance if needed.

The University's employees are insured for accidents both at work and during leisure time according to a collective agreement referred to in an employment contract.

University students and traineeship students in health sciences are insured when pursuing practical studies.practical studies..

It is important to look into the accident insurance of students, such as exchange and traineeship students, where these rules do not apply.

University students who want to study in countries within the EEA are advised to have a valid European Health Insurance Card European Health Insurance Card, otherwise they will need to present insurance in accordance with the requirements of the guest school.

Traineeship within the EEA

Students seeking traineeships within the EEA sign a declaration that they will obtain both a liability and accident insurance during their stay if the receiving institution does not provide such insurance. Students are also advised to have a valid evrópskt sjúkratryggingakort.

For traineeship students, it is important to obtain an appropriate insurance that is recognized within the Erasmus partnership. It is best for the student to contact their insurance company and see if it offers such insurance. The National Agency for Erasmus+ in Iceland has previously approved insurance from the company Dr Walter.

Students are responsible for obtaining travel and health insurance, certificates and other documentation requested by the host university. The credit card companies' travel insurance is temporary. Students are advised to apply for health insurance for Icelandic students abroad with the Icelandic Health Insurance..

Note that many universities require students to purchase health insurance and do not accept Icelandic Health insurance.

Here is an overview on how international students register in the country but a detailed guide can be found here, including instructions on insurance.

Students that are citizens of countries within the EEA

If students are staying for one semester, it is enough to sign up at the Service Desk at the UI and get a username and password to use the Ugla intranet. A valid European Health Insurance Cardmust also be displayed.

If students are staying for one academic year or longer, a place of residence in Iceland must be registered, a confirmation of means of support and registration with the Icelandic Health Insurance. It is necessary to have a European Health Insurance Card and E104 or S041 as insurance for the first six months, after which the Icelandic health insurance system will be accepted. It is therefore very urgent to register immediately. Further information

Students from non-EEA countries

Students from non-EEA countries must apply for a residence permit from the Directorate of Immigration. Among the documents that need to be submitted are health insurance for the first six months, which can be purchased from Icelandic insurance companies. After six months, Icelandic health insurance is accepted. It is therefore very urgent to register immediately. Further informationr